Does the nature of your skin swing between being too oily to being too dehydrated and sensitive? Chances are you have Pitta skin. Here we talk about some indicators to help you identify a Pitta skin and its proclivities. Also, bonus hacks on how to manage the skin problems related to a Pitta skin type!
- The Three Doshas That We Are Made up Of
The three doshas, Pitta, Vata and Kapha, that derive their character from the five elements, air, water, ether, fire and earth, combine in differing proportions to make up an individual’s constitution or prakriti. This includes all factors– physically, mentally and emotionally– that express an individual’s uniqueness. While everyone has all three doshas, the relative dominance varies. Everything may be categorized according to its proportion of the Doshas. This would include: seasons of the year, times of the day, emotions, dreams, food, animals, colors, textures, sounds, aromas, herbs – if it
exists, it can be determined if it is Vata, Pitta, or Kapha.
- What makes Pitta and Pitta Skin
Pitta combines mostly fire and little water element and is responsible for metabolism in the body.
If a person has Pitta skin it means that fire and water predominates in the skin compared to other people of the same age and ethnicity.
So Pitta skin will be found to have qualities such as
- normal thickness,
- feel warm to the touch, and
- can have a tendency towards sensitivity.
- The contradiction of Fire And Water
Pitta is the cause for what we call the combination skin where the nature and qualities of fire and water can also bring contradiction in the skin (either dry with a normal T-Zone or normal with an Oily T-Zone).
- When Pitta dosha is aggravated or out of balance,
- this skin can feel very sensitive,
- have a tendency towards redness, inflammation, and in extreme cases rosacea.
- If fire is too high the skin may feel partially dehydrated and sensitive and
- if water is too high the skin may be partially oily.
- How Does Pitta Skin Age
Pitta skin is the most vulnerable to sun damage and will show more signs of sun damage then the other skin types as it gets older.
- What kind of skin products are best suited for Pitta skin?
To bring into balance the fiery nature of Pitta, products will need to be hydrating, cooling and soothing.
Type of ingredients
Ingredients must have anti-inflammatory properties to calm down sensitivity, irritation, and redness if present. Moisturizing and slightly sebum balancing
ingredients will adapt perfectly to the conditions of the skin and bring balance whether the skin feels perfectly normal or partially dry or oily (combination skin).
- Some products to best manage Pitta Skin based on the properties of the skin type
- Hydrating Cleanser or Deep Cleanse
- Microcrystal Exfoliation Treatment
- Daily Repair Serum – Fine-Line (rose)
- Anti-Age Serum
- Fine Line Treatment Oil and/or Fine Line Moisturizer
- Anti-Age Aye Cream
- Calming Mask
- If Pitta skin is too sensitive
Blend Microcrystal Exfoliation Treatment with a little water or cleanser to
adjust to your skin’s needs. If skin is extremely sensitive, skip exfoliation or use Deep Cleanse Treatment instead.
- If you have a Combination Skin
To address an oily T-Zone, use the Daily Repair Serum-Balance (meadowsweet) instead of the Daily Repair Serum – Fine-Line (rose). You may also use the Purifying Cleanser.