They say, for the lucky ones, solutions appear even before the problem has arisen. Halloween is here. You are all prepped up with your face painted with colors, sticky matt lipstick, deep-drawn mascara, eye shadows. Now you dread the impending mess that awaits you once Halloween is over. Worry not. Here are four quick and NATURAL chemical-free fixes to get the makeup off in no time.
Honey and baking soda
Baking soda comes with antibacterial and antifungal properties. It keeps dirt and oil off your skin and helps tighten your skin pores. And honey is as good as a humectant can get, while it also helps moisturize your skin.
Here’s how you use these two magic ingredients to remove makeup:
- Add ½ teaspoon honey to ½ teaspoon baking soda.
- Get hold of a clean washcloth and make it wet.
- Dip it in honey and baking soda.
- Wash your face with just water.
- Wipe your face with the washcloth.
Make use of the moisturizing gift of milk while cleansing the Halloween makeup
If you are worried about losing moisture in the process of removing hard makeup from Halloween, milk is a good option for you. The healthy fats and proteins present in the milk keep your skin hydrated.
Here’s how you can use milk for makeup removal
- Take a bowl of milk.
- Add a tablespoon of almond or olive oil to it.
- Smear the liquid all over your face using a cotton wipe.
- Wash it off using lukewarm water.
- Milk is safe for eye makeup too. Just be patient and gentle on your eyes.
Cucumber with coconut and castor oil
The fatty acids present in castor oil help restore moisture in the skin. It is good for using to remove the layered Halloween makeup on dry skin. And also for sensitive parts like the area under the eyes, castor oil can be used. Coconut on the other hand is the kind of all moisturizing oils. It can penetrate skin tissues well, taking the nourishment deeper into the skin. Cucumber is cooling and it calms inflamed skin too.
Here’s what you can do to remove makeup with cucumber, coconut oil and castor oil:
- Blend cucumber and extract the cucumber juice without the pulp.
- Heat 2 tablespoon coconut oil with 1 tablespoon castor oil in a pan. Let it simmer for 2 minutes. Cool it off.
- Mix the cucumber extract with the above mix.
- Use cotton pads to dip in the blend and apply it to your face and eyes.
- Wash it off with water.
You can also use just coconut oil to cleanse your makeup.
- Take small quantities of coconut oil.
- Apply it on your face, enough that you can move your fingers across your face with it.
- Gently move the index fingers in a circular motion to apply the oil evenly.
- Wipe it off with a wet washcloth.
- You can wash your face with some lukewarm water.
Use Ayurveda-friendly natural and gentle cleansers to get rid of Halloween makeup
More people are opting for natural oil-based cleansers over traditional ones to get rid of the hard Halloween makeup because the traditional ones doused with chemicals are reported to cause acne, dryness, and overproduction of sebum.
Though oil cleansing would earlier seem like a counter-intuitive idea for cleansing sticky makeup, now experts are recommending oil cleansing as a key process in removing hard makeup. These oils can retain moisture and keep your skin hydrated while removing the goop at the same time. It removes excess sebum, cleans and tightens the pores, removes dead skin and other pollutants and toxins.
Take Shankara’s Hydrating Cleanser for example. It comes with the ultra-nourishing and cooling goodness of chamomile, the intoxicating fragrance of lavender, antibacterial gifts of neem, and the exotic calendula, along with the goodness of 27 other herbs, leaving your skin feeling soft, supple and non-greasy.
- The cleanser is gentle
- As soothing as silk and non-irritating even if your skin is dry.
- This hydrating cleanser, based on the wisdom available in the 5000-year old healing system of Ayurveda, actually protects the delicate acid mantle of your skin, unlike other commercially sold makeup removers.
(Read More about how to pick the ideal facial cleanser for your skin here.)