Our skin needs a regular facial massage for facial muscles to stay toned, removal of toxins from the lymph nodes, improved circulation of blood and movement of nutrients into skin cells, and removal of stress. Can’t step out for a facial massage? No worries. You can get the best facial massages right from the comfort of your home with the help of a 5000-year old technique that uses what is called the Kansa wand, a near-magical metallic wand that has been in use since many millennia. Here’s everything you need to know about the Kansa wand and its uses in giving yourself the best facial to date.
What is Kansa Wand?
The Kansa wand has a smooth rounded top with a relatively large curvature that protrudes cylindrically to give you a good grip. Kansa in the ancient language of Sanskrit translates to bronze and they have been used in the Indian subcontinent ever since people learned to make copper and aluminum alloys by heating metal to very high temperatures. Kansa is considered sacred in many cultures and is also called the bell metal, since bells used in Buddhist monasteries and Hindu temples or Churches were made of bronze.
In the ancient healing science of Ayurveda, Kansa has a special place. It is considered to be a healing metal with immense detoxifying properties.
One of the best benefits of the metal is it balances the pH. In the ancient tradition, people often ate in bronze plates and drank from glasses made of the metal to help digest their food better and balance the acidity of the food. When used as a massage wand for your face or skin in general, it balances the pH of the skin, apart from other benefits.
Benefits of The Healing Wand?
- Balances pH of the skin and protects the skin’s delicate acid mantle. Balanced pH saves you from multiple skin problems including premature aging and inflammation
- Draws out toxins from the skin
- Removes stress from the body and mind
- Calms you down and nerves and muscles in the face also find relaxation (Also Read: 5 Ayurvedic Night Time Rituals To Help You Doze Off As Your Head Hits The Pillow)
- Can be used over Marma points for deeper relief
- Removes excess heat from the body
- Improves blood circulation and free movement of nutrients into cells ensures the skin is healthy and aglow.
- Calms down inflammations, caused by dryness and dosha imbalance
- Shankara’s Kansa wand also has copper in it that helps develop collagen and elastin, two proteins needed to maintain the strength and texture of the skin.
- The presence of small amounts of tin and zinc aid the revitalization function of the wand.
- A kansa wand puts just the right amount of pressure on the skin versus other tools.
- Toxin removal from the lymph nodes
- More oxygenation for skin cells (Also Read: 5 Ways Oxygen Helps Fight Skin Aging)
- Removes puffiness
- Balances the three doshas-Vata, Pitta and Kapha
How to use a Kansa wand?
The Kansa wand for the face should not be used without a facial oil or serum. It is important to use the wand with an oil or serum that works for your skin, ideally, oils loaded with minerals, nutrients, and has the essence of natural herbs. We recommend it to be used with Shankara’s Rich Repair Face Oil or Blemish Support Face Oil. You can also use it with Shankara’s Fine Line Treatment Oil that helps fight the appearance of fine lines. This will have dual benefits, one that of the healing metal itself and your skin will absorb the nourishment from the essential oils including neem, witch hazel, tea tree, vitamin e tocopherol, jojoba, aloe vera, camphor, turmeric, kukui nut, among others present in both the facial oils.
Drench the wand in oil and let the excess oil drip out. Then, with the Kansa wand gently massage your face, making long strokes from the chin upwards to the cheeks. You can also make circular motion moving from bottom to the top that is from jaws to the chin. Make sure the bronze part of the wand is grazing over your skin when you massage your face.
Always keep the Kansa wand inside a pouch or bag where it is not exposed to light directly.